29 "Facts" That Have Been Fooling People for Too Long
Posted on May 18, 2016
There are some facts that are completely false, but they are deeply rooted in people's minds. You always thought they were true, but you were wrong your whole life.
1. Egyptian Slaves Built the Pyramids
Archaeologists have proven that the Egyptians who built the Pyramids of Giza were well paid and taken care of generously.
2. A Goldfish's Memory Lasts 3 Seconds
Fish can actually remember a lot of things up to a year or more. They can even recall colors and shapes.
3. We Lose the Most Body Heat Through Our Heads
This false, we lose heat proportionally in every part of our bodies.
4. Your Tongue Has Distinctive Parts That Register Various Flavors Separately
Well, your tongue does have these parts that register various flavors, but they don't work separately. They work together all over the surface of the tongue.
5. Lightning Bolts Never Strike the Same Place 2 Times
There is no evidence that lightning can't strike twice at the same place. In fact, some places get struck twice more than once a year. The Eiffel Tower or the Empire State Building are the best examples.
6. On a Plane, Toilet Waste Is Released Into the Air
This is false. Today's planes have a disposal tank that vacuums the waste. It gets discharged when the plane lands.
7. Mount Everest Is the Tallest Mountain Ever
It does have the highest altitude on earth, but if we include measurements below sea level, the highest mountain would be Mauna Kea in Hawaii.
8. One Piece of Paper Can't Be Folded More Than Seven Times
There are various types and qualities of paper. A small piece of paper can be folded just several times while standard A4 can be folded up to 8 times if you're strong enough.
9. If You Don't Wait an Hour Before Swimming after Eating, You'll Get Cramps and Drown
This isn't possible even if you eat and go into the water after 15 minutes. You'd have to swim like an Olympic athlete to get cramps. But even then, you wouldn't drown.
10. Cracking Your Knuckles = Arthritis
The statement isn't proven medically and the sound that you hear is the sound of air pockets cracking.
11. Chameleons Change Colors to Blend Into Their Environment
Boom! You never knew that chameleons are actually expressing their emotions through changing skin color rather than camouflaging themselves.
12. Coffee Is Made from Coffee Beans
That is wrong. Coffee beans have a fruity layer around them. Kind of like a cherry. We are drinking the minced seeds from inside the berry.
13. Daddy Longlegs Are Very Toxic for Humans and They Can't Bite Us
It was never scientifically proven that venom from these spiders can harm humans. There haven't been any poisoning incidents, either. But they do have small fangs which can bite us.
14. Bats Can't See Anything
This is definitely not true. Bats can actually see in the dark better than humans.
15. Columbus Discovered America
Columbus wasn't the first one to discover North America. He never set foot on the mainland. The Vikings did it a long time before him.
16. If You Touch Baby Birds, the Mother Won't Take Care of Them
Birds are not able to detect the human scent on their babies.
17. Sushi Is a Raw Served Fish
Sashimi is a raw served fish while sushi is considered everything that was marinated in vinegar.
18. Vitamin C Will Help You to Get Over a Cold Much Faster
Vitamin C is certainly not bad for you, but there is no scientific evidence that it could help you recover faster. Taking it during a cold is just a placebo effect.
19. Food That Is Cooked with Alcohol Does Not Have Any Alcohol in It
This is not true. It will contain it in different amounts, depending on how much was used and the type of alcohol.
20. Bar Peanuts Are Filled with Urine Particles
This is definitely not true. This scientific experiment that proved this never actually happened. Therefore, there is no evidence of this. It was just an urban myth.
21. Stretching Before Working Out Is Essential
Nope. Scientists have proven that stretching is not required. It can even be harmful if you do it badly. It will lower your capabilities by 8-10%.
22. If You Touch a Frog, You Get Warts
We can't contract warts from toads because they are caused by a virus. The frogs only produce toxins through their skin if they're touched. If the toad is not deadly, you'll get away with only a mild itch.
23. The Great Wall of China Is Visible from the Moon
Even from Earth's lower orbit, it's almost invisible. This was a myth all along.
24. Fortune Cookies Are Chinese
This is not a Chinese tradition. It was made for the American market by Chinese immigrants in the 1920s.
25. Sweets Will Make Your Children Go Wild
Medicine has proven that sugar won't make your children hyperactive. It will, however, increase their blood sugar levels, and that's not healthy.
26. 7 Dog Years = 1 Human Year
The real age depends on the race and size of the dog. Bigger dogs get much older. A big 1-year-old dog is can be compared to a 15-year-old human.
27. Egg Cholesterol Is Bad for You
Eggs contain a dietary type of cholesterol that doesn't stick to blood vessels. They can even lower high levels of cholesterol if we exclude other fats from our meal.
28. Bulls Hate Red
Bulls are color blind! They can see red as another brighter variation of black and white.
29. Mars' Atmosphere Is Red
Recent discoveries show that Mars has an atmosphere which is more similar to yellow than to red. But this is still up for debate.