11 Scariest History Facts That Prove Life Used To Be Frightening
Posted on Feb 18, 2016
You think living today is hard? Take a good look at these downright SCARY history facts and see how horrible living in the past ages used to be!
1. 2.5% of US Population Died during the Civil War (750,000 People)
2. The Number of Native Americans Went down from 12 Million (16th Century) to 237,000 (20th Century)
3. Between 16th and 19th Century, 12.5 Millions of Africans Were Kidnapped and Taken into Slavery
4. Aztecs Used to Perform Human Sacrifices to Honor Their Gods
The temple of Tenochtitlán saw more than 20,000 humans sacrificed.
5. It's Widely Believed That Stalin Is Responsible for the Death of 12 to 15 Millions of People During His Reign of Soviet Union Between 1929 and 1953
6. Genghis Khan and His Army Slaughtered about 40 Million People in Europe and Asia
7. Some Pharaohs Were Buried with Their Pets and Servants
8. In the 19th Century, "Safety Coffins" That Allowed People to Call for Help If Buried Alive by Mistake Were a Common Thing
9. During the 16th Century in Canada, There Was a Contraceptive Which Included the Beaver's Testicles
10. Even the Animals Were on Trial during the Middle Ages
11. In Order to Prove Their Innocence, Defendants Had to Put Their Hand in Boiling Water
If they would remain unharmed - they were considered innocent. Ah, the Middle Ages...